Designing Justice + Designing Spaces (DJDS) is a boutique public interest design practice that uses design and real estate development to address the root causes of mass incarceration and structural inequity. Spanning the design of buildings, digital products, industrial design projects and community engagement tools, DJDS is rapidly gaining a national profile for our approach to the work that is as diverse as it is innovative.
DJDS is seeking to immediately add a full-time project manager to lead the (1) build-out the organization’s project management capacity and (2) successful day-to-day execution of existing/future projects. The position will report to the design director and development director, who are also the firm’s co-founders.
The profile of a successful applicant begins with a strong interest and/or activism in social justice issues. The applicant should also enjoy and thrive in working in a multidisciplinary, highly collaborative environment and achieve successful results through practiced management techniques. The position requires initiative and prompt action to accomplish objectives. The social impact nature of the work requires a critical mind to reveal new insights and creativity in the application of new solutions. A positive attitude will permeate through the work, interactions with coworkers, clients, management, and sponsorship of firm policies. Duties and responsibilities, include:
- Lead multiple projects and teams, across multiple stakeholders.
- Manage and oversee the processes of projects.
- Explore and recommend project management software and systems to help streamline DJDS projects and tasks
- Create a process for managing meetings, including the preparation of agendas, note-taking, and distribution of next steps.
- Direct, lead, and mentor staff to ensure professional development.
- Develop a system to track the status of all projects and goals
- Create and coordinate work plans, schedules and timelines across projects.
- Create and monitor project schedules.
- Establish regular client meetings and attend with appropriate team and consultants as required by contract scope.
- Create additional service directives and sign additional services with approval of studio leadership.
- Serve as the main point of management contact with the client and city agencies.
- In accordance with company quality requirements, ensure that the project conforms to the contractual agreement the firm has made with the client and
- Review contract drawings and specifications for completeness, accuracy, and coordination.
- Ensure that the project conforms to the allocated period of time and within the budget it has been assigned.
Financial Control and Risk Management:
- Control project profitability and liability exposure
Establish and monitor project budgets along with project progress.
- Review project billings and update studio projections regularly.
- Monitor project receivable and assist in the collection of receivables.
- Assist in proposal drafts and submissions
- Ensure staff is effectively and efficiently utilizing time.
- Determine amount and type of staff to execute the projects.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Accurate and detail oriented
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and maintain effective communication and quality control
- Strong ability to plan, schedule, direct work of self and others
- Advanced understanding and proficiency using the following software:
-Basecamp/Smartsheet or similar project management software.
- Basic understanding of:
-AutoCad and/or REVIT
EXPERIENCE EDUCATION AND KNOWLEDGE
- Bachelor degree in architecture, construction management, engineering or related field.
- Minimum seven years industry experience (architecture, construction management, real estate development, engineering)
- Advanced understanding of building codes, including national and state local codes